Friday 19 December 2014

LISTEN / To a dear friend struggling over the holidays



Ancient sugar maple stands majestic,
Her daughter at her side,
Both graceful in their icy finery,
A sparking gift from the winter fairy
Who, though unseen, 
Has been summoned by the whirling snow.



How is it
On this day
So close to dark of winter
My heart stands open in
Light-filled reverence?

Yet, lodged in the stone-heavy ache in my heart,
Shame ever readies her venom-laden claws,
Threatening in a thundering voice
To crush all wonder.

I don my armour,
Shield of Celtic courage,
Sword of phosphorescent gratitude,
And with the raging heart of Queen Boudicca,
I cast out all that is unlike love,
Cradle my bruised heart
In winter silence.

All sorrow is but a fleeting thing
For deep within the earth's
Radiant heart
The Great Alchemist works to fuel LIFE.

To you, my dear, I send a message.
Armed with the ferocity of mother love.
This warrior is
Ready to stand at your side,
Cut away what would strangle you whole.
But should you choose to wage this battle
On your own strength.
Do not forget,
Victory will come,
And Joy will return
In small steps.
Encouragement can be found in the tiniest things.
In the sweep of the wind through maple branches,
In the light in the eyes of a friend,
In the perfect symmetry which nature creates
To remind us that we are part of a great whole.
The Creator sings to you this day.
Be still. And listen.

Elizabeth Copeland / Dec. 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment